Information & Policies
Information & Policies Of The Central Okanagan Wrestling Association
- COWA is an athletic association and thus encourages healthy habits. Therefore, at no time will the possession of tobacco products, vaping products, alcohol products, marijuana products, and/or illicit drugs be tolerated. Note that this is a zero-tolerance policy. Any wrestler found in possession of such products during events supervised by COWA will be expelled from the association. Any wrestler who is taking a controlled drug as part of a legitimate medical treatment or therapy must notify his/her coach of this situation.
- The wrestlers must follow the instructions of coaches concerning practice procedures and event behavior. Failure to follow such instructions will result in expulsion from COWA.
- All wrestlers are expected to be punctual, cooperative and considerate.
- Wrestlers are expected to be physically fit enough to safely participate in COWA activities. Wrestlers with unusually low fitness levels may be suspended until their fitness levels improve. Wrestlers with chronic injuries will require clearance from a doctor before they can participate.
- Attendance at practices for senior club members is mandatory if you wish to attend tournaments.
- Appropriate clothing must be worn to practice.
- All wrestlers must be accompanied by a COWA certified coach at all practices, tournaments, and while travelling to tournaments outside of the School District #23 area.
COWA is run by parents/guardians of the wrestlers and volunteers through a five-person executive team, various board positions, and a fundraising committee. There are meetings to discuss the association’s activities.
Out Of Town Events
Wrestlers may not leave event venues or team accommodations without the expressed permission of the coach. In general, parents, relatives and friends may visit you at the venue site/team accommodation buy you may not leave to visit with them.
Curfew will be at 11:00 pm unless otherwise stated. This means lights out and asleep by 11:00 pm. COWA arranges accommodations and transportation in rental vehicles by executive approved drivers for out of town events. By travelling as a group in rental vehicles we reduce the cost per wrestler, have more liability insurance and allow all wrestlers to participate.
A permission form with all trip information will be sent home for all tournaments. It must be returned by the deadline with the required funds and parental/guardian signature in order for the wrestler to be considered for the tournament.
All wrestlers on the team participate in warm-up each day of a tournament, regardless of if they are still in the tournament.
All of our coaches are volunteers. Any verbal or physical abuse of them will result in expulsion from COWA.
All of our coaches are certified or are in the process of being certified through the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP). All coaches must have an up-to-date RCMP Criminal Record Check on file with COWA.
COWA is always looking for more coaches, so if you know of any person or if you would like to train as a coach, please email: email@example.com
All fees will be refunded if requested and the wrestler has attended only two or less practices for the season.
The club may choose to sponsor a wrestler to their National Championships if they attend all practices and show their training book to their Head coach once a week. Wrestlers that win the Western Age Class or BC High School Provincial tournaments will be given higher priority.
Photo usage consent
You have the option to allow COWA to use your child’s photograph publicly to promote the club and sport of wrestling. The images may be used in publications, presentations, websites, and social media. There is no royalty, fee or other compensation that shall become payable in the usage of these. At any time, you may contact the club to update this information.
Parent/Guardian Code Of Conduct
As a parent or guardian, you will:
- Support my child with positive encouragement
- Respect and adhere to the ideals, policies, and rules determined by the Central Okanagan Wrestling Association, BC School Sports and the Canadian Amateur Wrestling Association
- Maintain self-control at all times
- Encourage my child to attend as many games/practices as reasonably possible in a timely manner. I will also notify the coach/manager ahead of time of any absences
- Respect the facilities, either home or away, in which my child is privileged play
- Show respect for the decisions, judgment and authority of the officials and timekeepers
- Show respect for the feelings and accept the capabilities of my child, or my child’s teammates and players on the team
- Exhibit a high degree of sportsmanship, teamwork, and positive attitude at all times when representing my child and the association
- Avoiding confusing my child by coaching from the stands
- Refrain from expressing my opinion of the coaches or players in front of my own child
- Refrain from using foul language towards other parents, coaches, officials or opponents
- Refrain from yelling at or threatening referees, opposing players or coaches before, during, or after games/practices
- Refrain from demonstrating frustration or anger after a loss or poor performance
- Not physically abuse any other person
- Refrain from approaching the bench during a game situations unless summoned by a coach
- Accept defeat gracefully… love the game above the prize
Acknowledgement of COWA Information & Policies
In consideration of enrolment in the Central Okanagan Wrestling Association, I waive and release any and all rights of claim for damages I may have or acquire against COWA and its officers, agents, servants and employees for any and all injuries, infections, and sickness suffered by me and I acknowledge the rules laid down by COWA governing its operation and that it remains the sole responsibility of the participant to act and govern himself/herself in such a manner as to be responsible for his/her own safety.
I am aware that members of the Central Okanagan Wrestling Association will email or call me in regards to any aspect of running the club that involves my child.
PARTICIPANT AGREEMENT (Covid Protocols)
Application - all athletes, coaches, members, volunteers, participants and family members of participants while in attendance at club activities (“Participants”)
All Participants of BC Wrestling Association agree to abide by the following points when entering club facilities and/or participating in club activities under the COVID-19 Response plan and RTP Protocol:
- I agree to symptom screening checks, and will let my club know if I have experienced any of the symptoms in the last 14 days.
- I agree to stay home if feeling sick, and remain home for 14 days if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- I agree to sanitize my hands upon entering and exiting the facility, with soap or sanitizer.
- I agree to sanitize the equipment I use throughout my practice with approved cleaning products provided by the club (shared and personal equipment).
- I agree to continue to follow social distancing protocols of staying at least 2m away from others.
- I agree to not share any equipment during practice times.
- I agree to abide by all of my Clubs COVID-19 Policies and Guidelines.
- I understand that if I do not abide by the aforementioned policies/guidelines that I may be asked to leave the club for up to 14 days to help protect myself and others around me.
- I acknowledge that continued abuse of the policies and/or guidelines may result in suspension of my club membership temporarily.
- I acknowledge that there are risks associated with entering club facilities and/or participating in club activities, and that the measures taken by the club and participants, including those set out above and under the COVID-19 Response Plan and Return to Sport Protocols, will not entirely eliminate those risks.
BC Wrestling Association COVID-19 Specific Agreement
ASSUMPTION OF RISK / WAIVER OF LIABILITY / INDEMNIFICATION AGREEMENT
In consideration of being allowed to participate on behalf of British Columbia Wrestling Association athletic program and related events and activities, the undersigned acknowledges, appreciates, and agrees that:
The risks of injury and illness (ex: communicable diseases such as MRSA, influenza, and COVID-19) from the activities involved in this program are significant, including the potential for permanent paralysis and death, and while particular rules, equipment, and personal discipline may reduce these risks, the risks of serious injury and illness do exist; and,
I KNOWINGLY AND FREELY ASSUME ALL SUCH RISKS, both known and unknown, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES or others, and assume full responsibility for my participation; and,
I willingly agree to comply with the stated and customary terms and conditions for participation. If, however, I observe any unusual significant hazard during my presence or participation, I will remove myself from participation and bring such to the attention of the nearest official immediately; and,
I, for myself and on behalf of my heirs, assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, HEREBY RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS British Columbia Wrestling Association their officers, officials, agents, and/or employees, other participants, sponsoring agencies, sponsors, advertisers, and if applicable, owners and lessors of premises used to conduct the event (“RELEASEES”), WITH RESPECT TO ANY AND ALL INJURY, ILLNESS, DISABILITY, DEATH, or loss or damage to person or property, WHETHER ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE, to the fullest extent permitted by law.
I HAVE READ THIS RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT, FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS TERMS, UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY SIGNING IT, AND SIGN IT FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY WITHOUT ANY INDUCEMENT.